Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A very serious problem: OIRX


Okay, so I thought I’d purged myself of the disease. You know *the* disease. If you’re a writer and you’ve ever sent a query letter, you are intimately familiar with the disease.

Obsessive Inbox Refreshing/checking, or OIRX (that’s pronounced orcs).

For me, OIRX look like this:

2 seconds later
three minutes later



Okay, I’m not that bad, but I think everyone knows what I saying when I admit that there’s the strangest anxiety tied to query letters. I’ve entered contests and crossed my fingers, but there is nothing like the possibility that a magical little email is waiting in my inbox.

So if you know someone who has OIRX, just remember, they have to want to help themselves before you can help them…

5 comments:

  1. It's so true. I typically go into things expecting failure (which is a horrible life view, by the way), but this still creeps up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that disease too well...

    In my experience so far, the magical little e-mails show up once I quit waiting for them...

    Good luck with your queries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really not looking forward to this. I know I will suffer from a very bad case of OIRX.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been oscillating between 1 and 2 since August. It. Sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I make my email ping when I receive a new one :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.