Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

In the moment

I love dancing (And the shoes!!!)

I haven't been dancing for very long, in fact, I only started this year. Already I'm having way too much fun.

But having fun doesn't mean I'm good at it. In fact, it turns out I'm sort of a terrible follower. I have a hard time being in the moment. I'm always planning for the future. In dance, this means that I get a lot wrong because I'm not waiting to get my directions from the leader.

In writing, this means I'm always looking forward to the big payoff in the novel, the cool moment in the movie where they had to slow everything down so you could see just how awesome it was. Because I'm thinking about what comes next I tend to mess up the now.

Confession: if I'm writing a novel, I'm working my way towards an explosion, and I can hardly wait to get there.

I guess we could all use a little more In The Moment. My writing could (and yeah, my dancing could to). But I feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Everywhere, the world tells us to plan for the future. Then, while we're planning, we miss the life that's right now.

It's a balance I clearly have to learn. What about you, got it all ironed out, or are you fretting over the future?

(and the key for dancing is to wait. wait. WAIT for the downbeat--yes, this is a music thing, but sometimes it's good to remember that there are other things besides publishing where waiting occurs)

3 comments:

  1. Confession: if I'm writing a novel, I'm working my way towards an explosion, and I can hardly wait to get there

    I do this too. I mean, not usually explosions, but action scenes or injuries (love me the injuries) or big reveals or moments of conflict

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oog. I know that I'm horrible about living in the moment. I've always had a tendency to think ahead, and it's gotten to the point that it takes me too long to plan for anything because I'm considering a dozen possible contingencies. On the plus side, I have developed almost Batman-like skills at preparing for what might happen. But still.

    Oddly enough, though, when I am writing, I'm so completely focused on those words right then and there, it might be the time when I'm most in the moment. Even if I'm not working toward an explosion or a revelation or an embarrassing personal moment for one or more characters. I don't get it, but hey, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But that's what edits are for! I'm one of those who love to rush to the grand finale. Then when I go back through I have to add the meat to the story bones. Go ahead, be impulsive, be you. I love horrible dancers, they are out having fun and really that's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.