Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Hobbies are healthy, some are even low in calories!

Briefly, I'd just like to mention that hobbies are healthy. I know a lot of people say things like "writing is my hobby," but I'm here to say, that might not be enough.

I know plenty of people who love their jobs. I also know plenty of people who are writing with the hope of having writing become their job. If you're writing to become a paid writer, you need other hobbies because your writing has crossed a magic barrier: your writing has become a second job.

Think about it. Yes, it is a passion. No, I couldn't stop even if someone ordered me to. But if  you had a second job that you were passionate about--say making blankets for the homeless, or sewing dresses for needy girls who just want to have one storybook moment in their life--you wouldn't consider your second, yet very passionate, job to be your hobby. It would just be another thing that you do. You'd still find time to tend a garden, or play golf with friends, maybe sail or relax on the lake.

When we write, we are passionate about it, but sometimes, we write to the exclusion of all else. Don't do this. Relax, enjoy the summer around you. It may be that I am particularly guilty of this right now, so this warning is more about me getting out to smell the roses than me admonishing all you lovely people to remember to do other things with your time besides hole up and write books.

With that being said, I think I'll go walk around the garden before jumping back into the writing cave.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, YES. This is sooooo true. (And I'm laughing from your 'cut from the same cloth' comment, because it's too true!!!)

    Right now, I'm trying to run. It helps release all the pent up stress that writing brings. I don't necessarily enjoy it (lol), but I feel better when I do it. Writing isn't enough for me---and though I LOVE it--I need other activities to keep me sane. Otherwise I just get obsessed, and when I'm too obsessed, I'm not happy. We have to emerge from our writing caves and *live* every once in a while. Even though I'm sure we'd prefer to stay locked away! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. And this is what makes me glad I do my best writing in the evenings/at night - I'll always have the rest of the day to do everything else.

    Though I do admit part of why I want to make writing my full-time job is so I can stay up late writing again. Not having to wake up at 5AM will be awesome. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dogs make sure I don't sit on my backside for two long. They insist I take them for long walks so I can plan the next page turning scene. My ideas never seem as good or as fleshed out once I get home and scribble them down so I don't forget. I think the fresh air makes everything seem better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for new hobbies that i'll stick with. I always try new things, like spinning yarn, or learning the ocarina, but i usually drift away after awhile. Maybe i'll just stick with video games ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am guilty. My kids have pointed out the writing thing has hit addiction levels. There is just so much to do, you will never, ever be done. Which is what my son said- I could do writerly stuff all day and all night and I would still have goals I want to reach. I need to set a clock and stop. Smart kid, right? No, he wasn't adopted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very good point. My writing can easily seep from morning to evening with no breaks, and from day to day in much the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I totally agree. When anyone has a first baby my advice is: Get a hobby. Everyone needs that passion to keep themselves sane around the hum-drum of life, or they burn out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.