Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Still under it's spell

Turns out, I'm having a devil of a time getting this silly Shiny New Idea to leave me alone for even short periods of time.

I dream about it.

No really, as in, I can't stop thinking about it. This idea is going to drive me insane. And let's be clear, I work a job where I really have to think and I have to think for long stretches of a time. But the second I stand up to go to the bathroom, I'm in another world.

Sometimes the real world is just frustrating in that whole I need a job to pay the bills thing.

*wistful sigh*

How about you? Do you cave to your new ideas, or do you beat them back with a stick? Are they easy to fend off, or are they intrusive, causing you to have somewhat obsessive behaviors around them--wait, that's a silly question, if you wrote a novel about it, you were obsessed. As we all know writing a novel is an act of madness.

right, and in the mean time, enjoy this picture of an iris from my mother's yard:


8 comments:

  1. That happens to me all the time. On one hand, it makes me feel all writerly and artistic, but on the other hand- people often ask me if I'm having petit mal seizures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes me two hours to commute back and forth to work each day. I usually spend that time thinking about my shiny new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know EXACTLY what you mean, I'm totally the same way. In fact, in the middle of being beaten up by a new idea right now. It's a great place to be, really, all things considered. Even if it's inconvenient, it's much better than writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently fending off taking any notes on at least two new ideas since I'm in the middle of writing a novel. It might just be old insecurities popping up, but I don't want to work on anything other than the current book while I'm actually writing it, because it just doesn't seem like a good idea. No idea if I'm right or not, but suppression is working so far. Oi.

    Sorry I missed your IWSG post last week; hopefully your workload will become workable soon. In a good way. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh jeez, whenever I get an idea that burns.. it just sticks with me and every minute of silence I'm thinking about it or drawing the characters or jotting down conversations. I guess.. obsessive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get a lot of ideas at the gym, and my programme card is covered with scribbled, unintelligible notes. At the moment, I'm in an idea void.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah happens to me too. Although sometime waaaaay back when I was still working on Doorways, I made an agreement with my muse that I'll write regularly if she submerges me in that world as I write. But until I sit down and start calling up the story in my mind, she needs to figure out the exciting stuff without me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do get lost in thought with new or ongoing projects, but there are three humans and two cats who always, always interrupt. What? They need to be fed again already? And they want clean clothes? Sheesh. The only time I can stay in la-la land is if I literally run away (or bike, or rollerblade) or if everyone is at school.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.