Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Status Update, just like the last status update: Life after contract

Yet another reason writers tend to fall off the radar is that it takes a long time to write a book.

And for the whole time we're writing, we are painfully aware that most of the book doesn't exist yet. The problem with that is it's rude to talk about something that literally no one else can share in. I can talk about it sure, but it ranks on the same boring scale as people telling you about what they dreamed about last night. Some people will find it interesting, or they might find parts of it interesting because they like you and are interested in what your dreams tell them about you, but otherwise? Nope, not really the stuff of riveting conversation

Sadly, the same is true of a book that isn't even a book yet. In fact, in some circles, it's considered rude to talk about unwritten novels. No one can even read it. There's no use in pitching it because it doesn't exist yet. There's no use in talking about the plot because, well, that could change dramatically too.

And yet, there's this ongoing need to do a sort of check in.

Many writers move to the talking about word count, or the "wrote a great scene" sorts of posts, but those aren't exactly the stuff of legends either. So there's the writer, a book in their mind, a blog full of blank pages and they've already talked about the--still imaginary!--book enough to push the boundaries of politeness.

Which brings me rather nicely to a status update:

Everything is uncertain in a writer's life. I currently have one novella that is in production. Everything else is in various states of maybe or not finished. I'm waiting to hear back on one novel. I'm finishing up edits on a rough draft to send off to my early readers. I'm plotting the rest of a rough draft for a novel in a completely different world. And I'm researching self publishing and if I want to go that route with one of my books.

Which is a guarantee of exactly nothing (another reason writers tend to clam up). It looks like I have a lot going on writing wise, but it could literally pan out to nothing (except the self publishing bit). And every time a writer finishes up a book, that's where it might be headed. All that work, seemingly for naught.


4 comments:

  1. So... you're saying I shouldn't tell people about my dreams either? :-)

    I'm just attacking my NaNo first draft, turning it into a second first draft - it makes sense to me, don't worry. You're right, it's easy to disappear into your fictional worlds and forget people are eager to read your next update. Happy you checked in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the writer life is so glamorous. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, especially that last part. >_< In terms of talking about the process, I do like sharing bits and pieces of what I'm working on, but I don't talk about things in-depth anymore until I know there's actually going to be a book. I've had way too many things fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got lots of things going, which is always a good thing. Writing is an uncertain business, so try to enjoy the journey as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.