Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

FEARLESS WRITING: an Insecure Writer's Support Group Post

I quipped the other day that I was checking Twitter to see if we were in the midst of Nuclear War. I’m pretty sure that’s how I’ll find out. It’s how I found out about the bombings in Boston. I’m absolutely terrified of nukes. I’ve studied nukes, so I have highly accurate nightmares about them (it’s a branch of the field I studied). Needless to say, my constantly being on Twitter and Facebook has made for fertile grounds for my Nightmare Bunnies. My productivity has tanked.

And that’s sort of the point, isn’t it?

If the artists and the thinkers stop making the content that drives the minds of the next generation, then where are we? If we let our creativity die, then we won’t be able to move forward. The point of art is to make people think and feel, to understand others and bridge the gaps between us. If we let our art die, we burn the bridges between us. We become isolated. We become divided without art. And that’s how a people are conquered. That’s how a minority rules.

Right now, we’re once again flirting with nuclear action. I have to remind myself that the writing I’m doing is more important than me being glued to Twitter. It’s more important to create. Art is resistance. So I’m trying to task myself to write as though I’m not terrified of nukes. Maybe fearless writing isn’t the right term, but “Write because staring at twitter isn’t helping anyone and sure isn’t getting this book done any faster” doesn’t fit in title slot very well.

Anyone else having a hard time reconciling the news climate with getting stuff done?


Anyhow, as you can see, this is an odd IWSG entry, but it’s what I needed to tell myself. Don't forget to check out the Ninja captain, Alex, and this month's co-hosts, Tyrean Martinson,Tara Tyler, Raimey Gallant, and Beverly Stowe McClure.

7 comments:

  1. These days, I worry when I watch the news on TV, but once the television is turned off, I don't think about it. Submission deadlines for my crit groups keep me focused on getting the writing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you can focus. That isn't a thing that's working for me, so I need reminders.

      Delete
  2. Things are getting worse by the day, but like Ken, once I zone into my story I'm totally there. But still engaged because I think of my writing as a commentary on the world in some way. Thanks for reminding me that there's a purpose to it all - easy to lose sight of that sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen and hallelujah! I like your point about art as resistance and connection. It's through art that people who are willing to read/watch/listen can experience "the other" as human. So far, I've been able to keep my creative fires lit despite the constant rain of bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must keep the creativity alive, no matter what is happening in the world...no, because of what's happening in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even know if the news has anything to do with it, but I haven't been able to write or create anything worth a damn for a long time. My constant thought while reading this entry was "Gee, no pressure." >_<

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.