Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Plans? Maybe just direction? IWSG


It’s a new year.

I don’t really know what happened to last year. It was rough. It was good. Like all years, it was complicated by too many factors to be easily summed up in a single post.

Going forward, I have a lot of thoughts. I’m working on migrating the content of this blog into a new format (I’ll probably still cross post for a while), but as I go back through, expect to see some old posts go dark. Think of it as the pack rat going through and cleaning everything up.

In writing, I’m moving into a new phase of my own growth. I’ve been working on improving my craft, and I feel like that’s gone well. It’s an ongoing process, and with writing, you never “arrive.” Writing is like a knife, constantly requiring honing. I took a break for the whole month of December, and it was very useful to know there was no need to do anything for a whole month. Now I’m cracking my knuckles and looking around at what needs to be done to clean up my writing life. I have a list of projects, and I’m toying with a Shiny New Idea. We’ll see.

To start the year I’m writing a low pressure piece just for the fun of it, and to share it with my friends. I kid you not, it’s a piece that I have no actual intentions of showing to the rest of the world, and I’m really looking forward to the ridiculous purple prose of an elf prince falling madly in love with the wrong person. So good.

I’m taking it easy right now due to other factors, so I’m going to write my very extra pointy eared prince and then reassess the direction of my career.

Do you plan out your writing year? Whenever I try to, it takes a detour at Albuquerque. So no real plan this year. Working on craft, writing something just for me, and we’ll see when we get there.

While you’re procrastinating, jump on the Link and visit the Ninja Captain, Alex. Be sure to check out this month’s cohosts: Patricia Lynne, Lisa Buie-Collard, Kim Lajevardi, and Fundy Blue!



4 comments:

  1. I don't bother with planning out my writing. My goals are usually pretty simple. Finish something in the next twelve months. That's about it for my plans. Here's hoping that 2019 is a great year for you and your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plan? That's what other people do - to obliterate spontaneity and belief in Muse! I'm a retired lady, writing as 'encore career' and, oh, the blessings that brings! No pressure for 2019 = a great plan, Rena!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it sounds like you're starting off on the right foot. It's always good to shake things up. As is writing for its own sake without pressure of worrying what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No plan this year. I'm winging just about everything in my life and that includes writing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.