Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Avoidance IWSG


I’ve talked before about how the best way to protect yourself from failure is to never try. You are absolutely guaranteed to never experience any rejection if you never put yourself out there for others to see (and all too often, criticize).

Which brings me to today. I have cleaned my work area, swept the floor, answered every email, done the dishes and cooked every breakfast the people in my house are going to eat for the next week. Yeah. All of that.

I’ve spent the whole week thinking about how much writing I was going to get done, but instead I have done LITERALLY every other chore in the house. I’m avoiding it. I’m worldbuilding. I’m plotting, I tell myself, I need time to think. Okay, that might be true, self, but it looks like, from over here in the no word count land, that you are actually doing the thing where you are avoiding writing.


Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: I have an idea for a novel, and I LOVE it. As in, I love it so much it might just break my heart. I love the idea so much, I might just never write it because the book it will become, no matter how good, will never feel like the shiny thing in my imagination. If I could have one wish, it would be to be able to make books fell the same way the idea feels in my head. It just doesn’t happen. Well, I should say, It hasn’t happened yet.

Am I the only one, or do you procrastinate putting pen to paper when you have an idea you’re in love with?

Jump on the link, visit the Ninja Captain, and check out this month’s co-hosts: Raimey Gallant,Natalie Aguirre, CV Grehan, and Michelle Wallace!





Hey, did you know my books are up on Amazon? 

Check them out here and here

10 comments:

  1. Been there. Write the ending. Then you've begun, just not at the beginning. Today. No delay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your enthusiasm. I'll write something today, but probably not the end (I'm not sure how it will work out just yet!).

      Delete
  2. I'll have to admit that sometimes, when I finally get a large block of time in which to write, I'll procrastinate about sitting down and actually writing. Like the idea of being able to commit myself to writing scares me. These days I have a couple of shiny new ideas running around in my head and I'm doing my best to ignore them until this WIP is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also tend to procrastinate sometimes. When that happens, I try not to be too hard on myself and make an effort to get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, but whatever happens, you can't help feeling proud of something you put so much work into. That makes it worth it. And it might turn out even better than you imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I get bouts of super-cleaning the house and cooking meals in advance, too :-)

    Ronel visiting for Feb's IWSG Day Being an Insecure Writer -- And Happy About It

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Rena! I can procrastinate with the best of them, whatever I'm trying to avoid. That means sometimes I write to avoid something else ~ LOL I hope you tackle the "shiny thing" occupying your mind! Happy writing in March!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do the same thing! (Both the procrasti-cleaning thing and the avoiding-writing-down-the-beloved-idea-because-the-work-will-never-match-the-dream, thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I m so glad to visit this blog.This blog is really so amazing.Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing with us, i like it
    Satta king

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.