Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2021

The New Blog is the Old Blog!

 That's right, I'm back at it. I have no idea if this is going to last as a blog location, but it seems like a good time to catch people up on the last year. 


Notable events in one of the worst years ever:

1) I got older. It happens every year, and will happen until I die.

2) I wrote another book. You might think this was a given, but in the pandemic realm, NOTHING is to be taken for granted.

3) As per normal, I'm stupid in love with this new novel, but no, it hasn't hit the querying stages (much revision is needed). 

4) My day job has gone a little bit off the rails in that I have had to show up and pretend like we weren't in the midst of a pandemic all year. (I need a really real vacation)

5) I wrote a short story, my first in forever, and it is adorable. I'm going to start sending it out real soon, so look for the ups and downs of short story markets.

6) I have absolutely fallen off of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. It's not that I'm not insecure, it just isn't working for me anymore. My insecurities haven't gone away, but they have boiled down to the understanding that they don't really matter. It doesn't matter because I have finally hit my stride with my voice, and that's not going to change, no matter how insecure I am. It's a little freeing, but also a bit terrifying because I know there are plenty of people who don't like my style. But I can see that isn't changing. 

7) I delisted my books from the zon because they never went through anything like sensitivity readers, and until I can spend the money and time to really make sure they aren't doing harm or perpetuating harmful stereotypes, off they go to sit in the trunk. On the plus side, this means I'll have more time for then stories I really want to tell, and boy there's some stuff coming!!

8) There's honestly too much to sum up in one post. 


I'm hoping good things are coming. 

2 comments:

  1. Were your books only on Amazon?
    Sorry the IWSG doesn't work for you anymore. Maybe a monthly question will bring you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have my books on Amazon after my publisher went under and kept a lot of the money. My MC was an ethnicity I don't have (half japanese, half irish), and when it was published hadn't gone through sensitivity edits, so I didn't feel comfortable keeping it out there like that. In the future, if circumstances change, I might find a way to fund proper sensitivity reads and edits, etc., but in the mean time, I have other things to write.

      Delete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.