Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

A facelift

I'm thinking about rebranding my query bait. I love the title, but all the feedback I get is pretty much "I think I've read this book before." I know they haven't, but I've been sort of selling it in a way that seemed familiar (a clear link to the looks like I've seen it before feeling). So I'm asking for help. I've come up with some secondary titles, so let me know what you think (feel free to email, if you don't want to comment).

Alternate Titles

Quotidian Magic
The Settfyrian of Summer
Evil Wizards Taste Like Chicken
A Maelstrom of Magic
Inevitable


Okay, those don't look that great. Clearly, I have a lot of work ahead of me. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I think it depends on what you're going for. Maybe take a few minutes to think about how you want people to see you book, and figure out what words can mean that.

    For example, the book I just finished, it had ghosts in it, but I didn't want people to think it's a horror novel. So even though "ghosts" is in the title, I made it a metaphor (The Ghosts Between Us).

    Do you want people to think it's a funny book? Evil Wizards is a great title for that. The first two don't really do anything for me, because I don't think "quotidian" and "settfyrian" will tell people what the book is about.

    And if you want to kick some titles around, just email me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evil Wizards Taste Like Chicken! I would buy that based on the title alone. I totally would.

    It is way hard trying to convey the kind of book you have with just a title and not give everything away OR mislead people into thinking it's something it's not.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.