Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Interregnum


So, I’m sure many of you know, I’ve been lurking around the boards at WriteOnCon.com trying to hook up with some critique partners. 

It’s really great to meet other writers, and I love reading first chapters. I learn so much about what works and what doesn’t when I’m reading other people’s first chapters. It’s one of those things that I’m completely blind to with my own work. I just can’t even see what the problems are in my own work. It takes a long time before I can actually look at my story and see what needs to happen with it to make it good.
And that brings me to today. 

Today I started on my interim project, the story between the first draft and the real revisions. And I’m so excited about it, I just can’t help but blab about it. 

It’s adult fiction, Sci/Fi or speculative fiction (whichever you prefer), about an FTL ship during a human vs. alien interstellar war. It’s sort of complicated, but I’m on the second chapter (having already mangled the first chapter no doubt), and I’m still really excited about it. Enough explosions to make Michael Bay happy… well, okay, not *that* many explosions, but plenty for sure. Rogue AIs, Faster Than Light travel, Alien technology, experimental drives, guns, stun rays, and nukes, I’m looking forward to this bag of trouble…
So, here’s the brief on the new WIP:

Title: A Battleship Named Hope

Description:

Hope Darrington thought it would look good on her transcripts: AI donor. Her brain was fast enough, good enough, strong enough that she was put on the list in case something happened. Then it did. When Hope woke up after the jet crash, she was a space ship, and there were other space ships firing at her. She panicked (who wouldn’t), and people died. 

She was tried for dereliction of duty, found guilty and sentenced to dismantling. 

That was thirty years ago. A previously peaceful alien race has launched a surprise attack on a human colony, wiping out all communications and destroying all the ships capable of reaching help. All ships but the forgotten convict, the rogue AI who thinks she’s human. Now a ragtag group of space marines are going to try to fly the ship to get help, but without Hope’s help, they might as well be bait.


Okay, so the brief needs a little love, but I’m working on it. I still need to figure out her personality a little more to really get the feel of this. And besides, it's just a project to help me not think about my other project. 

4 comments:

  1. I love her name and love the idea of something told from an AI's POV. I'm a huge Data fan (as in Star Trek). Hope you have fun writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a REALLY interesting twist on the standard spaceships at war genre. It sounds awesome!

    Also, have you watched the new version of Battlestar Galactica? Because it's all kinds of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny: I loved Data! I've had a hard time adjusting to the other roles Bret Spinner has played, but I felt like he really captured the supper nerd genius thing in ID4 and Phenomena (the one with John Travolta).

    Elizabeth: OMG Battlestar Galactica! It's like Firefly on crack with a super physics engine. Awesome. Love it. (and yeah, that's part of the reason I'm writing a rogue AI, it's the toaster's fault).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rena: My husband just told me that Bret Spinner (Data) comes into the music store where he works all the time. He says he's pretty funny and nice. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.