Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Short cuts


I’ve finished my read through of my soon to be query bait, and it needs something dreadful: rewrites. Okay, well not full rewrites (at least not that I can see, which is a subject to change with time), but a rewrite of the single most important part: the end!

I totally took the cheap route out. I got to the climax and punched the ticket. Credits roll and I’m awesome, or maybe not. See, I know better. I rush endings. I always have. I’m like a barn sour horse. I get heading back to home and suddenly I’m writing like a demon, dropping details, and rushing the scenery.

I’m not very good with tension in these settings, if you can imagine that.

So now it’s back to the drawing board on some crucial scenes at the end. I should know the old adage by now “If you have time enough to do it twice, surely you had time to do it right the first time.”

Where do you take shortcuts?

2 comments:

  1. The end, just like you. I always, always, always rush the end. But you know what? That's okay. Even if you didn't rush it, you're going to rewrite the end several times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's definitely okay. It would only not be okay if you didn't recognise the need for a rewrite :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.