Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I had a post...

... but my good senses told me not to post it.

I whined

I vacillated on whether to rewrite, revise, or shelve my current project.

I tried to be deep and philosophical.

Lucky for all of us, I realized I'm just a writer going through the normal crazies, and no one needs to hear my ramblings.

But now I'm really curious about something:

So often, I see people going on about how they worked on the same book for a coon's age. revising, rewriting, retrying, the whole nine yards, and I want to know: How do they do that?

Am I defective because I'd really like to move on to the next project? Am I lacking in some integral brain warping gene that lets people tread the same ground over and over again, 'cause I'm not gonna lie, my dissertation was rewritten four times, and I don't know that I could do a full top to bottom rewrite of a novel four times. I'd be ready to pack it in and get on the next train, go see the next SNI in action.

That's why I decided not to make any decisions about my Query Bait. Maybe a little bit of time  away from it will make it look less like the murky flood waters of ramble land, and more like a fixable problem.

So I ask, How do you keep going when your manuscript is starting to look like the cheap parlor trick you suspect it is?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmm there's no set time. But I will never be one of those people who work on the same book for seven years straight. I get bored. I can work on the same book over and over, but I need breaks and time away or it starts to look like a piece of crap I should just burn. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.