Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Milestones



I don’t know how many times in our lives we get to peer over the guardrail back at our lives, but I just recently I crossed a big milestone—well, a big milestone to me, at least.

Sometime in September, I wrote my one millionth word of fiction (a specific designation because I’ve written hundreds of thousands of words of non-fic, too). One Million words. That’s a lot. Like if I were to ask someone how many words is a lot, they’d say “A hundred thousand is a ton of words!” and I’ve written ten times that. If I printed out all those words in Times New Roman 12 point and put them in a line, you’d have to walk 10 kilometers to read them all.  

 0.0 

So what does a milestone like 1 million words mean? I don’t know, but I can tell you what it doesn’t mean. Volume of words does not equate to quality or competency. Sure I’ve written a ton, but that doesn’t mean any of it is good. And volume is no guarantee of publication. I know people who have ten times (this is literal, not figurative) more words and still haven’t landed that all coveted publishing contract. On the flip side, I know someone who published her first novel (YOWZAH), so a million words is meaningless.

For me, a million words is four laptops (okay, the kid killed two of them), and more than a decade of writing off and on. A million words is having to write the letters onto the keyboard because I’ve polished them off from all the typing. A million words means I’m here to stay. I never imagined I could write that much, so for me it’s something of a badge of honor. What makes me the most happy, is that of those million words, over a quarter of them were in the last year.

I’m just warming up. 

 

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your milestone! That's impressive. Something to aspire to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO AWESOME!!!

    I've thought about counting mine, but a lot of my older stuff is no longer digital, and i'm nothing if not lazy.

    You are now officially a Pro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! How do you keep track? Lol! Now I want to go open up all my files and add them up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally win the nerd/writer of the year award for having been counting!

    And I'm glad you plan to keep at at. You have oodles of talent and it's just a matter of time before I get to buy your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. super awesome! congrats! but more so congrats on keeping on!
    read about your housework & couldnt agree more! waste of time! i hate selling/showing a house.
    and fear not we all make emistakes, waiting is good advice!

    happy monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cool, well done. I hate to think how many words I've written and deleted - the words that have remained are much less. I'm a chronic deleter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! That is one big milestone. Now you have TWO million to look forward to! :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. One million! I never kept track of my words like that. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I raise my glass to you and many more words in the future.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.