Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Ideas are cheap

At least I tell myself that. But then I have an idea.

And here's how that goes

Shiny New Idea: (waving frantically) Hey! Hey! WRITE ME!! No, don't listen to that other idea! Write me!

Me: I have work to do. You know, a contract?

SNI: But I'm a brilliant new idea. You should be honored to have even had me. Do you know how rare we are?

Me: I had a good idea for a whole trilogy last week, what makes you so different?

SNI: I have an awesome title. (holds out hands while nodding)

Me: I don't have time for this.

SNI: But I won't let you down like all those other ideas. I am the IT factor. (widens eyes and nods).

Me:(long suffering sigh) Fine. I'll write you down. That's all I can promise. You'll have to wait in line with the others.

SNI: A line? A NUMBER? Fine, you wanna make me wait, fine. Have ALL THE THOUGHTS! (floods my brain with the whole world, the strange cultures, the twists, the imagery) HA! SEE IF YOU CAN WRITE LIKE THAT!

Me: Alright, I'll put together an outline, but I really do have a deadline. I need some space.

SNI: Okay, I can be patient. (leaks more imagery and some FEELS)

Me: Hey, I said space, okay?

SNI: I just don't want you to forget. I think I'm pretty awesome.

Me: I noticed.

SNI: (leaks more details)

Me: (sigh)

8 comments:

  1. Ha! I'm going through something so similar right now :)
    Every time I sit down with the WIP, ideas for the next project end up getting written instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when ideas act like jealous siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, been there; have an entire file filled with SNIs in various stages of development - or not, considering how many I wrote down and haven't touched since. But at least I can tell what the good ones are; they're the ones who are still willing to share when I crack open the file and look again.

    Others are more like "No, you had your chance. I might try to work with you on a redo, but probably not. Off with you." And I'm like, "Whatever, there's plenty more where you came from." :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! That's hilarious. And yeah, sounds about right. It's funny how when I started writing I worried about what if I never had another good idea. Once you start recognizing them, they come all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I have ideas come to me all the time. Trouble is, they're for WIPS that are planned for the future. Right now these new ideas just distract me. Arg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol yeah that's exactly how I am too. Which is why I have almost 30 projects pipe-lined for the next five years.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.