Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Home Stretch: the Road to Published




If you’ve been following parts I, II, III, and IV, you’ve probably guessed that this book took a long time to become a book, and boy, you’d be right.

I had given up on my book not once, but twice, and I’d started querying another book. It’s complicated because when you start querying one book you have to make a choice agents or publishers. You don’t do both. So I started sending my new novel out into the world of agents, and things were different. I got partials and fulls and my book did well in contests. It was all very exciting.

That is, things were very exciting up until the point when they were painfully “not right for our needs at this time.”

Yeah, rejection sucks, but it’s part of the process. For this new novel, I started getting personalized feedback, concrete bits I could actually work with. Unsure how to apply them to my current novel, I practiced that feedback on my old novel, the one in the trunk. Then, I saw a contestif there’s one thing you should know, it’s that I have a weak spot for contests. But this contest wasn’t the usual query contest for agents, it was aimed at publishers only. My current query bait was already out in the world with agents, and I didn’t want to query both agents and editors with my book. That would be rude. But I did have that other novel and thanks to the feedback, I had a good idea what might be wrong with my novel. I edited Acne, Asthma, And Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon and put it in the contest.

And something happened that hadn’t happened before: someone from the publishing world, an editor, loved my book. It was such a moment of validation to have someone other than close friends and family say they loved my work. They were enthusiastic and hopeful.

And then I got a second offer.

I don’t know if you’ve ever had to make up your mind, but it ain’t easy. I talked to all the people I knew who had published with small publishers and with the publishers I was considering. To be truthful, I had already researched one of the publishers, Curiosity Quills, and they were the reason I had entered the contest in the first place. I had been hoping they would notice me, and they did. I was over the moon.

And that, as they say is that.



I know it’s pretty normal to talk about these things, but if you saw something about my path to publishing that you’re curious about, feel free to ask. From my rather longwinded story here, it should be obvious I love talking about myself and my process.

6 comments:

  1. I really could sit and stare at your cover for days. I'm so happy you didn't give up on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad everything worked out and what an amazing cover... Sigh. So pretty. I love reading these stories better than the insta-success agent-publishing deal within a week ones. This is a lot more hopeful :) Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! It looks and sounds amazing. I love Curiosity Quills books. I can count on them to be fresh stories with unique voices.

    I was trapped in the agent/editor hell and then I read an interview with Debbie Maccomber and she said it seemed that writing was getting turned on its ear- in her day, writers were out to reach readers and got agents later. (But then she started in the days when anyone could query anywhere, but still...her words are encouraging!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having to choose between two markets is a wonderful position to be in. Well done to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is pretty awesome how this all turned out. ^_^ And it's good to see that something you'd set aside worked out for you in the end. I find it particularly encouraging considering how damn many things I've set aside. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to say that I just finished your book and hope there will be more.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.