Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Insecure, but keeping our heads up

It's another installment of Insecure Writer's Support Group! Jump on over and say Hi to the Ninja Captain, Alex, and be sure to swing by the co-hosts, Allison Gammons, Tamara Narayan, Eva E. Solar, Rachel Pattison, and Ann V. Friend, and say Hi! 


This month, I think it might be good to acknowledge that the writing journey is hard. I know, duh, Rena, we get that it's hard. There's a whole support group for it!

But it's true it can be hard.

And it can be amazing. This might be one of the hardest professions to try to be part of--the internship is a bit rough--but it's amazing. We writers create amazing things. We take people and we transport them to other worlds, other lives--we create within the people who read our works a sense of connectedness with the world around them.

I mean, wow. Step back for a minute and take that in. If you're writing, if you've written, you've already accomplished so much.

Yeah, the business is hard. Didn't get a request. Didn't hear back. Beta readers weren't kind to you. Reviews were terrible (like for real, yo, what is the deal with some reviewers?). But they aren't writing. Those things are a side effect of writing. They are the Con trail after your plane of awesome flies by. The bad parts of writing are the blisters and bruises you get when you play soccer (or football if you're from any country besides the US). 

But even with the bad bits, the bits that make us wring our hands and worry and fret, Writing is amazing.  We've all seen this meme, but it's true for everything, not just ballet. Writing is hard, but it is amazing.

Get back out there and write people.  

12 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Writers have such power. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from Alex's blog. I totally agree. Despite the disappointments, the writing journey is wonderful. You have to love the craft to continue. After 30 queries I finally got a few requests for my first novel, but never publication. An editor at a publishing house was kind enough to make recommendations. After five years of writing, I had to set the project aside and took a six-month break. Alas, I missed the process so much I just began my next novel, A YA Fantasy. The great part about failing, is all you learn along the way. My writing has improved exponentially, and maybe this time will I'll hit the mark. If not, I'll keep writing because, well, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    It is hard. It takes perseverance, patience, hope, endurance, faith, and stick-to-it power with a willingness to learn as you go to be a writer, but it is worth it.

    Shalom,

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing is amazing. I can't imagine not having it in my life.
    Lovely inspiring post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect that's the only reason we write. If we weren't in love with the writing, why would we put ourselves through this? Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, I loved your voice style. Thank you for the inspiration. Yeah, lets write.
    Juneta Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep (ptooie) get back on that laptop and type, y'all.
    you're awesome!
    (and enjoying ...Dragon, slowly but surely!)

    happy february!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. Her poor feet!! I'll stick with writing. At least my bruises are on my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right you are. The stuff's hard, a lot harder than people give us credit for :)

    Also, I just noticed the thing on the side of your blog. You're being published! Congrats! Pretty cover and cool title, haha .. dragons, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly so, Rena... but you know, I wouldn't have it any other way :) Good luck on your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very true. I've always wondered why nobody ever tells new writers this, though - if I'd known many years ago that it's supposed to be hard and thinking it's easy and everything I wrote was awesome meant I wasn't much good at it yet, well... Okay, it wouldn't have made things any easier, but it would have been nice to know. :P

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.