Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Squash like grape!

It’s the first Wednesday of the month, and that means: Insecure Writer’s Support Group!

This month, my particular insecurity is oddly specific. I’m worried that I’m writing the wrong book.

As you may or may not know, I’ve been working on a sequel. This is fun, terrifying, and, strangely, sloooooow. I’m starting to think that the reason it’s so slow is because I’m not convinced I’m working on the right project.

See, I interrupted a book to work on this project. A shiny book. A book that was starting to really grow on me, but then I realized the better business decision to make, would be to make sure that we have another book in the race. So I set aside the thing that had the momentum and now I’m moving as fast as molasses at Christmas. In fact, it was so slow, that for a while there I wasn’t managing any words at all. But then things got a little better, but still not great.

And all the while, I keep thinking about the book I left behind. Did I ruin it by leaving it? Will the magic still be there when I finally finish this other project? And did I leave behind the magic to write something kind of crummy? Ah the doubts gnaw like remoras.

But, I’ve made a choice and I’ve picked my side of the road. For those of your who maybe didn't grow up watching the Karate Kid, Mr. Myagi famously stated to the MC that he either had to go all in or stay out of Karate all together. If he wobbled in the middle, he'd be squashed like a grape. So I'm all in, and there’s only one way out. I keep trying to remind myself of that saying: If you have to walk through hell, don’t stroll. Back to work for me. 




And don’t forget to visit all the cohosts, C. Lee McKenzie,Rachel Pattison, Elizabeth Seckman, Stephanie Faris, Lori L MacLaughlin, and Elsie Amata, and hop on NinjaCaptain Alex’s Linky and visit some other blogs

4 comments:

  1. Once you make your choice, it's the right one. You have to work on the story that's grabbing you at the moment, or you'll never make any progress (or the words will suck). Good luck with this story. The other one will always be there, waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Shall I tell you how many times I rewrote the third book in my series? The one that releases in November? Yeah...that. BUT, but the tenth draft, I loved it. It only took that long. (I was working on my pet project in the background.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the other book always seems like the one you're supposed to be working on. Stick with what you're on and stay with it to the end. And who knows, maybe distance from the other one will make it even BETTER when you get back to it!

    IWSG September

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always easy to think that the other project will be better, or go more smoothly, or anything else - it could be a "grass is greener" sort of thing, especially since there's no way to know how it would be going if you were working on it instead. >_< I hope that things continue to get better with your current book.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.