Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Arrow of Time Points in a Circle

I’ve noticed something in my time in the Bloggosphere: I’ll be following a writer, they’ve just signed with their agent, they’ve just released their first book into the world, and then crickets. They were all over the place, and then, suddenly, dramatically, they’re gone. The blogging records are really good right up until release day. When I was querying madly and trying to figure myself and my own writing out, I always wondered why that was. Why did they get to that spot and stop? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to ramp it up?

And to be truthful, some writers get to that point and they did ramp it up—with promotions for their book. They completely stopped writing about all the things I’d gone to their blog for: writing tips and how to, and the like.

I get it. You publish a book, and it’s time to sell the book. I get that. I really do. But the thing I was always curious about were the thoughts writers had after releasing a book.

And then I looked back at my own blog and saw EXACTLY the same thing. *Sigh*

Turns out, I’m not all that special. Turns out, I’m just like all the other writers. Turns out, I have many of the same insecurities and fears as all the others. Turns out that when things got rough, I abandoned my blog because as writers, we’re supposed to happy and supportive and exciting. Turns out, it’s easier to go silent than it is to process the feels while you’re in a place that many other writers are envious of.

With writing, there are some things you’re allowed to shout from the rooftops, and there are things you’re supposed to hide (terms of contracts, for instance). So I’m going to start a series of blog posts that I intend to go from now through the start of NaNoWriMo (you are getting ready, right?) to cover some of the things that don’t get talked about as much (largely because they’re boring).

What they will be: A look at writing; what’s changed about writing since publication; a look at some of the challenges after publishing that don’t get talked about a lot; ways to cope; thoughts on strategy; learn from my fail; and quite a bit of Just Keep Swimming (sorry, it’s the nature of the beast).

What it won’t be: Woe is me, look at how my success ruined my life (because it didn’t, but there are definitely feels, and those feels are very real elephants come to trample you and your muse).

This’ll be a weekly engagement (should I say weakly, my blogging hasn’t been that good lately), and I’ll intersperse some other posts (reviews, costume related, fangirl moments—you do know Flash season 3 airs in October, right?).


If there’s anything specific you’d like me to talk about, send me an email, comment here, hit me up on Facebook, carrier pigeon—I’m easy to contact, and I want this series to be a resource for people going through the process. I know that parts of this topic exist in the blogosphere, but they were often stories about “when I was a young writer” and not nearly that much about the way publishing is now (and publishing changes faster than a model during fashion week—but it’s all the same which is paradoxical and complicated). 

6 comments:

  1. I think that sounds like a great series! I've noticed that as well that many authors seem to drop out after publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've slowed down a lot, mostly because I'm trying to fit so much in - not only am I tying to write new stuff, but promotion takes time. Promoting on your own blog is less successful because you don't reach new people. Maybe that's why people disappear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you. ^_^ And I've seen authors blog less after publishing too, though I never thought about it much. Things like that are part of why I make it a point to post every week, no matter what, even if it results in weird crap like this week's entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, these blog posts are all about our writing journey. Just because you have a book published doesn't mean it's over. It's just beginning. So keep up the blog posts and we'll keep reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting - I'll be sure to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, Rena. And l've always ADORED your posts. Because we really do connect on a different level. I swear we have the same mind!!!! Keep posting whatever you want when you feel it. That's what I'm going to do. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.