Pages

Thursday, October 19, 2017

A terror of beauty, hungry and angry

There are fires all around, and luckily, many of them are starting to be controlled by the relentless work of some amazing fire fighters. The pictures are stunning. At one point, I was close enough to see the flames in action (at night), and the fire is both terrifying and beautiful in person. It is a force of nature, like the veil slipped open and spilled something uncanny on the world.

I’ve been struggling with what to write since last week when it started. I spent last week with my ear glued to a scanner, trying to follow the progress of the fire and the efforts to contain it. Lately, I feel guilty. It is a form of survivors guilt because everyone I know is safe, and my families’ homes are all okay. I sigh with relief, but there are hundreds of others whose houses burned down. My heart breaks for them. They are my co-workers, my neighbors, people I went to school with. It is horrible.

The stories that are coming out of these fires are harrowing to say the least. Fire is terrifying. Wildfire is like a march of demons set to destroy the world, and this one moved so fast, just so so fast.

I had started the month doing a bunch of #inktober drawings, but now, all I can seem to muster is fire paintings. I don’t think I’ll be sharing those any time soon.


There’s rain in the forecast, and I can honestly say, I’ve never hoped for rain more. 

I'll be back to my normal schedule soon, but in the meantime, stay safe people. 

6 comments:

  1. I have been watching that on the news and it is heart wrenching. A march of demons sounds about right. Prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family has been so lucky. I cannot even express how lucky we have been.

      Delete
  2. I'm just glad y'all are okay over there. >_< I saw a few updates and I was worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things were pretty tense there for a little while. Much closer than I'm comfortable with. We have never been happier for rain!

      Delete
  3. I have a cousin who works for the forest service. He used to fight fires, and he got to the point where he could lower himself by rope from a helicopter behind the fire lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cousin is crazy, but invaluable. We had so many firefighters here, it was like a whole other city at base camp... and we needed every last one of them.

      Delete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.