Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sewing!

A bunch of people have mentioned that they can't sew or sewed a long time ago.

And that's pretty much true for me too. My aunt taught me to sew when I was eight. It was A: not easy, and B: very humbling.

But like everything else in the world, I got better with practice. I used my grandmother's sewing machine, an actual antique, and I got better and more proficient. I'd like to say that I'm not actually very good, and most of my sewing goes into making costumes. Because they aren't usually for everyday wear (I wish, the clothes I make for myself fit better than the ones I buy for myself!) I take short cuts, and those are risky, but sometimes it pays off....


Sometimes it makes a hat that has to be remade completely.

And yes, sewing is an awful lot like writing.


(Here's the hat.)






Prestidigitation!


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, the hate is for a McGonugull costume, so green.

      Delete
  2. Anyone who can make any flat piece of material into something wearable has my admiration. I struggle to re-hem trousers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate buttons. When I do pieces for my friends they know that what they'll get does not include buttons (I make them sew them on themselves...)

      Delete
  3. Nice work! My grandma taught me to sew when I was a kid, which I'm grateful for, though I'm not very good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I don't sew, but I quilt. It's such a great way to be creative in a totally different way than writing. Kinda like sketching.

    The hat is beautiful - I'd call that pretty excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, you Quilt??!! So much respect. Every time I try to quilt, I am reminded that my meticulous nature is outweighed by my adventurous nature, which is a polite way of saying that I do not have the patience for quilting. Every quilt I've started has been finished by someone else except one (I was twelve and far more idealist).

      I am in awe of your quilting powers.

      Delete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.