Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Squeetastic


Right, so I’ve spent the last decade with my head buried in academia. Things happened when I wasn’t paying attention. I’ve never been very on the cutting edge of what’s going on. I’m always a late comer, even on things that I should be the first person in line.

That’s good and bad, by being a late comer, I always trip onto things with tons of back issues so I can gorge myself on the awesome in a binge of, well, awesome.

Usually I keep the squeetastic to myself because it’s sort of embarrassing—which for the record, is totally lame! Why should it be embarrassing that I can sing the theme song to Sailor Moon acapella? I should be able to love everything that I love without worrying about being judged, but I do worry. I am judged. And that’s why I found it so incredible to stumble onto a group of people who promote awesomeness and decreasing world suck by being nerdy and unironically being enthusiastic about the things they love. They are the Nerdfighters.

I first ran into them when Elizabeth posted this video of Maureen Johnson on writing. It was awesome. 



Then I started to watch more of their videos until I found this one. And since then I’ve been completely hooked. 



One of the great things about binging on awesome is that I trip across things that other people are already like “Dude, Rena, we all already know that.” So if you already know who Meghan Tonjes is, fantastic. 

For everyone else: I have found my theme song for this year (and it was written for last year). 


So yeah, I'm totally hooked, so I'm off to buy Meghan's songs. 

Oh, and if you want to fly your nerdy flag, feel free to steal my badge in the side bar.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know! I totally cried when I heard it the first time. I love her other stuff to, but that song is incredible.

      Delete
  2. ha... That Dare to Suck video is how I got introduced to Maureen Johnson. I just adore her now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to! I'd heard about her books but she was just another faceless author until I saw that video (which is awesome).

      Delete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.