Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I guess it was a great thought...

So here I am in the uncomfortable position of having realized something really big.

Last year for A to Z, I did not participate, and yet, I wrote over 50,000 words of comments.

Yeah, you heard me right. I wrote a novel of comments during the A to Z challenge.

That's sort of a lot.

So I decided to pull out of A to Z this year. I'm sad about it, and I know that it would be fun. And a great way to connect with other writers. But my priority sort of needs to be, you know, writing books. I'm not going to go full hermit, but I'm going to cut back. I'll definitely check stuff out, but I'm going to focus on that new book. You know the one; the one that's supposed to make me fall in love and forget I ever wrote another story.... Well, we'll see about that.

So yeah, I'm disappointed, but at least I realized how bad of a move it would be BEFORE I started posting for A to Z. Have fun, challengers, and Good luck!


Now, it's back to the trenches for me (I'm writing synopses and outlines today!). Anyone have any great ideas for writing a synopsis? I'm going to try the really long query letter technique today.


14 comments:

  1. Sad, but totally understandable! No need to kill yourself. As far as synopsis's go, I found this post really helpful - http://www.shalleemcarthur.com/2012/05/5-steps-to-writing-synopsis-for-your.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great post about making synopses. I absolutely hate writing them. Everything feels so trite when you put it into short direct sentences. "She finds the meaning of life and uses it to fuel the spell of ultimate destruction. Bad guys die. Hero wins."

      I sometimes wish I could do them on paper so I could draw in some confetti when I get to the resolutions sequence. It feels so thin in a synopsis.

      Delete
  2. I'm still not brave enough to try the A-Z! Maybe some day...

    And oh the joys of the synopsis... My advice is to get it all out, and then just chop away. Also, you don't need to follow every story line in the synopsis. I usually jut follow the main characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been doing it this way for a long time, but I feel like I go for the Joe Friday version (just the facts ma'am) when I should have more of the me in them. I'll get back to it.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Rena.
    I was just over at MSFV critiquing the Secret Agent entries and noticed a lot of your comments there. I just had to come check out your blog because I loved your insights.
    Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I'm in the contest (#18 Dead Star), so I'm trying to pay it forward and give people all the thoughts I can. I have a hard time with the first 250 word contests because I feel like I have to give my characters a chance to breath into the page before I tear apart their lives. I find that reading the other entries helps give me ideas.
      Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Hey lady,

    I have an award for you over at my blog. If you want to keep it going, pop on over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally hear ya on the A to Z. We're doing it at FFF and it's one of the reason I took April off on my blog. I have a synopsis template someone emailed that helps me when I'm doing them. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've slogged through the synopsis using the hook, plot turn, pinch, midpoint etc. method, so I've got one. But like all synopses, it's just terrible.

      Delete
  6. All the best with synopsis and outline writing!

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
  7. The books have to come first. You owe it to the world! I'm still intrigued after reading the snippet at Daisy's. It's going to be a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first page got a complete rewrite after Daisy's blog because I'm trying not to rely on crutches. If you want to see the new first page go here (because I'm such a sucker for contests!).

      Delete
  8. I pulled out as well. Looking around blogs this year, there have been quite a few who've done the same. It's a huge commitment to do it properly!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.