Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen: Start your engines!


So last week I said I wasn’t going to do the A to Z challenge, and I’m still not. Instead, I’m doing Camp NaNo. My reasoning for not participating was that I could literally write a novel in the same amount of time, so that’s what I’m doing.

I don’t usually announce the starts of books (hint: I start more of them than I finish), but since everyone else is laying themselves bare with the challenge, I thought I’d go for some transparency. Cheer if you like. Call me crazy. You can even say “Holy Krakatoa! I’d never let people see my writing process like that.”

Yeah, I’m feeling a little nervous and exposed. I mean, shoot, what if I abandon this? Oh well, take some risks and write, right?

So, without further ado, the novel.

TITLE: WHY SO GRIMM, KITTY?

Genre: Paranormal/Creature romance

Pitch: Kat is the captain of the cheer squad, with a long and sundry history with the smoking hot quarterback. They’re quite the pair, but when Kat wakes up to discover she is a telepathic, shapeshifting cheetah, she loses her confidence. Now that she can hear everyone’s thoughts, she knows the terrible price her beauty has had on the rest of the school. She professes illness and runs away to explore the Great Plains as a cat. When her ex-boyfriend goes hunting, he accidentally bags the big cat: Kat.

Instead of killing Kat, the quarterback decides to give the cheetah to his new girlfriend. Before Kat can shift back to her normal size, the quarterback’s new squeeze puts a chain collar around her neck, one that would kill her if she shifted back. But that was no accident. The quarterback’s rebound hotty is none other than the Grimm Reaper, and she’s pissed. Kat was supposed to go unstable from the telepathy (also a Grimm Gift) and stage a massive school shooting. Now the Grimm Reaper will do anything to get the deaths she needs, even if it means dating the quarterback. Can Kat beat back the Grimm Reaper, rescue her boyfriend, and do it all before Prom? No wonder they call it Senioritis.





April fools!

I can’t write paranormal romance to save my keyboard. It’s not that I don’t enjoy it, it’s just that I do such a bland job at it. So yes, this is a joke. For those of you tortured with my bihourly tweet pitching on Friday, this was the FakePitMad pitch.

Anyhow, I really am starting a novel today. As in, I’m going to post this entry and open a scary blank document and type. Just like that. Okay, it’s way harder than that, but you all know what I’m talking about. If I’m not back in two days, someone send a bottle of wine (Pinot Noir, please).



(okay, a hint about the book: I’m toasting the start with a special brand of rum: Kraken) 
 

12 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Whew, am I glad the pitch was a joke. I mean, I was really trying to be all like, "Yeah, this could work!" but inside my head, oh how it hurt. :)

    Happy April Fool's Day, and best of luck with Camp NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's so sweet that you were trying to make it work like a real novel in your head!

      I love writing pitches for fake books because you can make them as ridiculous as imaginable. So much fun. But then I went and actually wrote the book that spawned from a pretend pitch... not quite as much fun. Lots of work (as are all novels, really)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with Camp NaNo!

    I might have signed up too, but thanks to my book being snapped up, I'm now in revision mode, so no fast drafting for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love drafting, but your book is getting published!!! so you have work to do. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. LOL! I'm pretty sure you could pull that story off ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I totally could. I can absolutely rock a Creature Feature like that!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I love April fools. It's one of the great traditions in the world.

      Delete
  5. That's awesomely funny, in fact it's so bad it almost makes me want to write it, just for laughs!

    Congrats on starting the new draft. You have no idea how jealous I am! A toast to the blank page. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Daisy, I've done that before... But then you have a full book and you go back and forth, do I try to publish what started as a joke?

      That book did pretty well actually, so maybe it is worth it. But definitely have to stick with the Title.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the novel -- and thanks for the mention of AZ even tho you're not participating!

    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
    Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love A to Z, but I really have to get into the writing. But I would really love to participate.

      Delete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.