Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Ah, California, how you know me


Topic A: California is awesome

Topic B: Allergic reactions are just like the flu only worse

My daughter is allergic to penicillin derivatives, and since she’s had a bilateral ear infection she was on Amoxicillin. It was her first time. It didn’t quite do in the infection, so she got another round.

That’s when she swelled up at all her joints and developed a rash from head to toe… the day before we were supposed to fly to California. The doctor wasn’t that concerned, but warned us that we would need to take it easy.

I didn’t realize that by take it easy she meant the kid wouldn’t be able to walk. So we got to pack the daughter around but only to places with stroller access or that we were dying to see (and by dying I mean lug a 35 pound kid to).

But California provided the perfect reason to stay indoors: it rained.

Now, I know that most people think rain isn’t a great thing when on vacation, but I beg to differ. The ocean is a fickle beast, and a storm blue sea is a treat to someone from the desert. We had a great—if somewhat less than normal mountain climbing—vacation.

I hope everyone else had a great Spring Break if you get one, or just enjoyed the beginnings of spring (where are my daffodils, I put in my order last November when I planted a ton…).

11 comments:

  1. Aw, poor kid! I'm glad you had a good time, even if it wasn't quite what you expected. Is she feeling better?

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much better. In fact she's running around the house banging a MyLittlePony into piano as I type.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that she is doing better.

    Rain is often critisized, but too soon we collectively tend to forget that it brings us food and the beauty we also tend to ignore around us.

    I remember spending 6 months in SoCal once and it NEVER rained a drop. It sounds like you had a nice respite out there despite the rain and illness of your daughter.

    In the long run, we decide what our attitude towards something normally unpleasant to us will be. In this case, you remained very positive, thus I surmise that you enjoyed your stay out there. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone I know was upset for me about the rain, but I tried to remind them that I live in a desert where we had 268 days without rain last year. That was pretty ridiculous.

      I for one, love the rain. Absolutely my favorite, unless I have to spend the whole day out in it, and even then, it's only an issue if I'm not wearing the right gear.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad she's feeling better and that you had a great holiday. It would be boring if it was just the same as at home, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it would be boring if it had been sunny and 70 degrees (and stuck inside with mostly immobile child).

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that your daughter is feeling better.

    So sorry that it rained. But rest assured: rain never lasts long in California! (Take it from someone who has lived in California all of her life.)

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I grew up in California, and I love the weather. I just wish we could get a little more out here in the desert.

      Delete
  5. When we went to the coast it rained and snowed. But we are in Oregon, so it's more expected. Glad you had fun in CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I love Oregon. A lot of precipitation. My Aunt lives in Independence (she's the public librarian there), and it's fantastic.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry that your daughter had to go through that awful reaction. Hopefully this rashy, wet holiday will be one you will remember fondly for years! I like rain when it's warm out, but really hate it during the winter months (not that we had a winter in New Englad this year, but I remember what it was like back in the days of yore (2011)). Glad she is feeling better and hope you're feeling rested and refreshed.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.