Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sometimes I feel like my life exploded


So I’ve tried this post a couple of times, but it just sounds like I’m whining. I don’t want to be the whinny person who’s always having a bad day. 

I also don’t want to lie and fake a happy sunny life thus propagating the idea that we have to be well adjusted sunny people with nothing worse than a hangnail going on in our lives.

But here’s the truth: I’m no closer to having my damned dissertation done now than before. Well, that’s not true, I’ve been working on it constantly, but it’s taking forever. I *feel* like I’ll never finish. And I’m teaching. 250 students generate email like you would not believe. And I have to keep on top of all of it because that email is someone’s grade.

No pressure. 

I love teaching, don't ever doubt that, but when my computer eats my lecture an hour before my lecture I want to take a shot gun to my computer. The urge is not insignificant. And that sort of breakdown is occuring more and more frequently. My students must think I'm a complete flake. They have fewer computer problems than I do, and they outnumber me worse than the Persians outnumbered the Spartans at the battle of Thermopylae.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to Spring Break (next week). I’ll be heading to California to visit family and water, and I’m looking forward to it so much that if something goes wrong (always a possibility), I will seriously cry like a little girl (something I’m prone to when stressed out beyond imagining).

So I think I can sum up my life with two words: Over booked.

I am now done whining. I should get back to work.

6 comments:

  1. I can't help, but I'm sending you hugs and a hope that nothing gets in the way of your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a lot going on at the moment, it's no wonder you're stressed! Hopefully you can relax over spring break and everything will seem a little brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that life is glitching out on you. If you need someone to whack your computer's kneecaps? hard-drive? when you are gone, I could totally take care of that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life does sometimes have a habit of throwing everything at you. I hope life settles down for you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your vacation! It sounds like you need (deserve!) one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys, I'm sorry I didn't respond. Things went from crazy to worse.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what's on your mind.